Parks and Recreation

The City’s Parks and Recreation Department is responsible for several activities including oversight of the City’s Recreation Programs, Parks,  Community Pool, and Veteran’s Memorial Building.

Carpinteria Community Tennis Courts

The Community Tennis Courts are available to the public during the hours when school is not in session and the Community Pool is open.  Visit the pool to pay  and gain access.

Adult per person/two hour reservation – $7.00

Youth/Senior per person/two hour reservation – $5.00

Doubles per tow hour reservation – $22.00

Access Pass (20 Hours) – $40.00

Carpinteria Community Tennis Court Reservation System

  • Reservations open 7 days before desired  time frame
  • Maximum of one reservation per player each day
  • It is recommended that you arrive 5 minutes early to check in and pay hourly rate at the Carpinteria Community Pool
  • Players are required to lock gate after use
  • West court has tennis and pickleball lines
  • When reserving, ensure that the time frame you reserve matches the sport that you’re playing (tennis/pickleball)
  • To prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus, maintain physical distance at all times
  • Players must bring their own equipment, pickleball nets can be borrowed from the Carpinteria Community Pool office
  • For questions, contact the Carpinteria Community Pool at 805-566-2417

Carpinteria Community Swimming Pool

The Carpinteria Community Swimming Pool is located on the corner of Palm and Carpinteria Avenues. The pool is open yearlong with an average water temperature of 80°. The bathhouse offers locker rooms, showers and a Goggle Shop.

Junior Lifeguards

Carpinteria Junior Lifeguards is a summer institution. Junior Guards, ages 9-17, learn many aspects of life guarding as they engage in a variety of aquatic and beach activities.

Ocean Recreation Activities at the Boathouse

Rentals and lessons for surfing, kayaking and sailing are available at the Boathouse, located on Ash Avenue at the beach.

Adult Coed Softball

Adult softball co-ed slow pitch league. Games played on the beautiful Viola fields. For more information call parks and recreation (805) 684-5405.

Community Garden Park

Grow organic fruits, vegetables, and flowers in the heart of downtown Carpinteria. The Garden Park has 100 raised beds available to interested community members. For additional information contact Wendy Robins, Garden Coordinator at (805) 755-4431 or

Please be advised that communications directed to the City, its legislative bodies and their members (i.e. the City Council, Planning Commission), and City staff are public records, and are subject to disclosure pursuant to the California Public Record Act unless exempt from disclosure under applicable law.

Park System

The Parks division maintains and operate City parks with amenities ranging from children play areas and picnic areas to a rare salt marsh and walking trails.

Veterans Memorial Building

Located at 941 Walnut, the Veterans Memorial Building offers several services to local community members.

Forms & Applications

Recreation programs, BBQ reservations, pool special events, and more.

Service Request

Report a needed street repair, maintenance issue, etc.

Posted on

Online Reservations Now Available for Tennis & Pickleball

The City of Carpinteria has launched a new online reservation system for the tennis and pickleball courts located at Carpinteria Middle School on Palm Avenue. To reserve a court, visit Note that the Community Tennis Courts are available to the public during the hours when school is not in session and the Community Pool is open. Payment and access information must be secured at the pool office, at 5305 Carpinteria Ave. Online reservations open 24 hours in advance, and players are allowed a maximum of one reservation per day. There are two courts, and the west court has tennis and pickleball lines. For questions, contact the Carpinteria Community Pool at (805) 566-2417.

Posted on

City Council to Meet Sept. 13

The Carpinteria City Council will hold its next regular meeting on Monday, Sept. 13 at 5:30 p.m. In accordance with State guidance, the City will provide both in-person and virtual attendance and participation options for the meeting.

Members of the public may attend the meeting at City Hall, 5775 Carpinteria Ave. In accordance with the Santa Barbara County Health Officer Order, masks are required for both vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals. Members of the public may also view the meeting live at, on Government Access Television Channel 21 or by logging into the Zoom webinar through the link in the agenda below.

The following topics are highlights of the agenda. Additional details and numerous ways for the public to provide comments can be found at Comments posted on social media will not be provided to council members.

  • Proclamations & Presentations: Retirement recognition for Kevin Silk, Assistant to the City Manager, a proclamation declaring Sept. 15 – Oct. 15 as Hispanic Heritage Month and a proclamation declaring September as Suicide Prevention Month.
  • Status Report of Treatment of Various Street Trees Along Eleanor Drive, La Paloma Drive, Malibu Drive, Sterling Avenue, Sterling Way, and Tomol Drive.
  • Purchase of three trucks for the Public Works Department and one truck for the Parks, Recreation and Public Facilities Department.
  • Approval of the application for Rural Recreation and Tourism Program (RRT) Grand funds to the California Department of Parks and Recreation Office of Grants and Local Services (OGALS).
  • A status report on the City’s Short-Term Rental (STR) program.

Engineering Division

Public Works Administration Program

The Public Works Administration Program oversees the following divisions and respective programs within the Public Works Department:

Engineering Division

  • Public Works Administration
  • Transportation, Parking and Lighting
  • Capital Improvements

Street Maintenance Division

  • Street Maintenance
  • Right-of-Way Maintenance

Sustainability and Environment Division

  • Resource Conservation (Energy)
  • Solid Waste
  • Watershed Management

The Public Works Administration Program is responsible for the planning, organizing, and directing of all services in the Public Works Department.

The Public Works Department is augmented with contracts for professional (consulting) services, solid waste hauling, street sweeping, and street and right-of-way maintenance.

Contract Services:

The Public Works Administration Program administers professional (consulting) services to augment Public Works Department staff in the delivery of capital projects, engineering plan checks, and specialty studies. Professional services are private architectural, landscape architectural, engineering, environmental, land surveying, or construction project management firms. The procurement of professional services is made by a qualifications-based selection process in accordance with California Government Code Sections 4525 through 4529.5 and the federal Brooks Act for federal-aid projects.

The Public Works Administration Program administers maintenance contracts to augment Public Works Department staff in solid waste hauling, street sweeping, and street and right-of-way maintenance.

Engineering Permits Service:

The Public Works Administration Program administers the Engineering Permits Service.  Under this service, engineering permits are issued for grading, right-of-way encroachments, dumpsters, and oversize loads; and special event permits are issued for events held in the public right-of-way including temporary parking.  Engineering plan checks and inspections are performed for conformance with City construction standards and compliance with City regulations.

The Engineering Permits Service also administers the City floodplain management regulations.  The purpose of these regulations is to promote the public health, safety, and general welfare, and to minimize public and private losses due to flood conditions.

Transportation, Parking and Lighting Program

The Transportation, Parking and Lighting Program provides for the following services:

  • Transit service contracts with Santa Barbara Metropolitan Transit District (SBMTD), Easy Lift Transportation, and Help of Carpinteria
  • Public parking lot maintenance
  • Train station platform maintenance
  • Street light and traffic signal maintenance

Public parking lots include Parking Lot #1 (Ninth St./Elm Ave.), Parking Lot #2 (Cactus Ln.), and Parking Lot #3 (Linden Ave./Fifth St.) which comprise Parking and Business Improvement Area Assessment District No. 4.  The Downtown “T” Business Advisory Board is responsible for promoting the economic growth and stability of the District.  To learn more about the Downtown “T” Business Advisory Board, click here.

The majority of the public street lights are owned, operated, and maintained by Southern California Edison (SCE). Decorative street lights are owned, operated, and maintained by the City, while SCE provides the power. The decorative street lights are located citywide including on portions of Linden Avenue, Carpinteria Avenue, City Hall, Parking Lot #3, parks, and bike paths. All public street lights and traffic signals comprise Street Lighting District No. 1.

Contract Services:

Transit Services:  SBMTD Electric Shuttle is an electric shuttle service that will continue to be provided from the previous fiscal year. The service is subsidized by SBMTD. The subsidy allows a reduced fare for residents and visitors to use the electric shuttle. Easy Lift Transportation is a paratransit service that will continue to be provided from the previous fiscal year. It is funded by Measure A. Help of Carpinteria is a door-to-door transportation service that will be continue to be provided from the previous fiscal year for non-driving residents. It is funded by Measure A.

Assessment Districts:  The Parking and Business Improvement Area Assessment District No. 4 provides for the funding of the operation and maintenance for Parking Lot #1, Parking Lot #2, and Parking Lot #3.

Street Lighting District No. 1 provides for the funding of the operation and maintenance for all the street lights and traffic signals.

Capital Improvements Program

The Capital Improvements Program consists of capital projects greater than $10,000 in value and generally financed with specific funds intended only for capital improvements. Capital projects are listed in the Capital Improvement Program (CIP) and substantiated or prioritized in conformance with the General Plan and Local Coastal Plan, master plans, and/or special studies. The CIP includes capital projects for Alternative Transportation, General Facilities, Highway Interchanges and Bridges, Parking Facilities, Parks and Recreation Facilities, Storm Drain Facilities, Streets and Thoroughfares, and Traffic Control Facilities.

Capital projects are often long-term, and expenditures occur over multiple years. In many cases, capital projects may have had prior design work completed or may even have had partial construction completed prior to the current fiscal year. In other cases, capital projects may be completed in future years.

Project management and contract and grant administration of capital projects are able to be performed by Engineering Division staff. Professional (consulting) services contracts augment Engineering Division staff in the design and construction project management of capital projects.

Capital Projects and Special Studies:

City of Carpinteria

Carpinteria Dune & Shoreline Management Plan

More Info


Highway 101 Projects

More Info


Rincon Multi-Use Trail

More Info

Linden Ave Improvements Project

Linden Avenue Improvements Project

More Info

Proposal and Bid Opportunities

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Is there a leash law in Carpinteria?

Yes, all dogs are required to be leashed within City limits, including all parks, beaches and the Bluffs Preserve. Dogs are prohibited on the City beach between Linden Avenue and Ash Avenue year-round and at the Seal Rookery near Casitas Pier from December 1 through May 31.

2. What if I find a stray or lost dog?

Contact Animal Care and Control within 24 hours at (805) 755-4418 or 755-4413 and deliver to or make the animal available for pick-up. Staff will post flyers of the dog in the area where it was found and uses craigslist to help find the dog owner.

3. What if my dog gets out or runs away?

Call Animal Care and Control to report your dog missing. Posting flyers of the dog in the area where it was lost may also help return the animal along with posting on craigslist or a social media site. You can also call the Santa Barbara Humane Society Lost and Found Animal Hotline at (805) 564-6862 to report your pet lost. Impounded dogs are held at City Hall or at local veterinarian offices. Impound fees are $74 for the first release, $115 for the second release and $195 for the third release. A licensed dog is easily returned to its owner!

4. What happens if my dog bites a person or if I am the victim of an animal bite?

Immediately contact Animal Care and Control to file a bite report; the dog may be required to be quarantined for ten days.

5. What if I see a dangerous or vicious dog?

Animals displaying this type of behavior should be immediately reported to Animal Care and Control. The Food and Agricultural Codes give staff several tools to use to protect the community.

6. What if I have an unwanted stray cat in my neighborhood?

Domesticated cats often roam and live at several households where they are fed. The City does not trap healthy “community cats” because although they are out and about, they generally belong to somebody.

7. What if I have a feral cat in my neighborhood?

Feral cats commonly live outdoors and avoid human contact. The City supports a “Trap, Neuter, Return” policy for ferals. Please report any feral cats to Animal Care and Control. If the cat has a notch on its ear, it has already been spayed/neutered.

8. Do you handle raccoon and opossum calls?

No, these animals are regulated by the California Department of Fish and Wildlife and are best left undisturbed. If a raccoon or opossum is living or trapped under your home, you may have to call a pest company for removal. If the animal is dead, it can be disposed of in a plastic bag and placed in your refuse container.

9. Who should I contact if I have a bee swarm or other bee related issue in my neighborhood?

You can call the Mosquito and Vector Management District (MVMD) of Santa Barbara County at 805-969-5050 or email  Or, click here for a list of bee keepers.

Special Dog Regulations

The City of Carpinteria Municipal Code regulates where dogs are permitted when in public. Whenever dogs are off of private property, they are required to be leashed and controlled by the person walking the dog. Dogs are also prohibited on portions of the City beach between Linden Avenue and Ash Avenue.

Neighboring County and State Beaches also regulate leash law requirements. In the County of Santa Barbara, only a few beaches have designated off-leash dog areas. Please refer to the County of Santa Barbara website here for off-leash dog parks.

Leash Law

CMC 6.04.230 – Dog leash required when.
It is unlawful for any person to suffer or permit any dog owned, harbored, or controlled by him to be on any public street, alley, lane, park or place of whatever nature open to and used by the public in the city or on any private property without permission of the owner or person in charge thereof, unless such dog is securely leashed and the leash is held continuously in the hand of a responsible person capable of controlling such dog or unless the dog is securely confined in a vehicle.

Dogs on Beaches

CMC 6.04.240 -Dogs prohibited.
It is unlawful for any person to suffer or permit any dog owned, harbored, or controlled by him to be on the public beach between Linden Avenue and Ash Avenue whether leashed or unleashed.

City Manager

Dave Durflinger

Dave Durflinger
City Manager

The City Manager is responsible for overseeing the daily operations of the City and for organizational efficiency and effectiveness, for the preparation and presentation of the municipal budget and keeping the City Council informed on other municipal financial matters, oversight of personnel matters and for the oversight of municipal facilities. The City Manager leads the management team and all City departments including Community Development, Parks & Recreation, Public Works, Administrative Services, and General Government. The City Manager reports directly to the City Council.

Assistant to the City Manager

The Assistant to the City Manager works directly with the City Manager and is responsible for a variety of managerial and administrative functions including oversight of the City’s Economic Development activities, acts as staff liaison to the Mobile Home Park Rent Stabilization Board, provides miscellaneous grant writing, and manages various special projects.

City Clerk

The City Clerk is responsible for coordinating the City Council agenda process, recording the official proceedings of City Council meetings, and serves as official record keeper for the City. The department acts as secretary to the City Council; acts as filing officer for City Conflict of Interest Code and Fair Political Practices Commission Statements of Economic Interest; prepares and publishes all legal notices and assists in City Elections.

Emergency Preparedness

The Emergency Preparedness section provides information related to planning for and being prepared for an emergency, ongoing training and the emergency operations plan.

Human Resources

The Human Resources Administrator provides coordination of the recruitment, selection, training, and evaluation of employees within the City.

Staff Work Program

The City’s annual Work Program and Strategic Planning Session is a step in the ongoing process of implementing the Community’s defined values, vision and mission. lt is conducted with an understanding of the community and the context in which the City, as an organization, operates.

Mobile Home Park Resident Information & Resources

Other Government Links

The links below will take you to a third party site. The City of Carpinteria is not responsible for the products, services, and content on the third party website.

Government Agencies

Carpinteria Unified School District

Carpinteria Unified School District

District Office
1400 Linden Ave.
Carpinteria, CA 93013
805.684.4511 Fax 805.684.0218

Pupil Services
4810 Foothill Road
Carpinteria, CA 93013
805.684.7657 Fax 805.684.7408

Carpinteria High School
4810 Foothill Road
Carpinteria, CA 93013
805.684.4107 Fax 805.566.5952

Rincon High School
4810 Foothill Road
Carpinteria, CA 93013
805.684.3277 Fax 805.566.9707

Carpinteria Middle School
5351 Carpinteria Ave.
Carpinteria, CA 93013
805.684.4544 Fax 805.566.3839

Aliso Elementary
4545 Carpinteria Ave.
Carpinteria, CA 93013
805.684.4539 Fax 805.566.4759

Canalino Elementary
1480 Linden Ave,
Carpinteria, CA 93013
805.684.4141 Fax 805.684.3384

Summerland Elementary
135 Valencia Ave.
P.O. Box 460,
Summerland, CA 93067
805.969.1011 Fax 805.969.1524

Carpinteria Family School
1480 Linden Ave
Carpinteria, CA 93013
805.684.4141 Fax 805.684.3384

Forms & Applications